Friday, June 20, 2008

Unexpected, but welcome guests!

So there I am working away yesterday when pops in one Andy Davis. Who is Andy, you may ask? I don't know! Well, I didn't know. He was just another guy out for ride[a really really long ride] who stopped by the shop. He and his partner, Melissa, stopped by Simply next door to grab some lunch on thier tour through the country. Andy and I got to talking about what they're doing, how they're doing it, and how far they have to go. I"ve always wanted to be one of the locals that folks on a trip like this run into that are able to house, feed, and show a good time. As luck would have it, Lisa and I were able to do just that with Andy and Melissa. We had jam last night again, they pitched a tent in the yard, and took a shower in our house. It really was an honor to have them for the night.



The point of their trip is to highlight sustainable development, and sustainable practices that are happening all across the country, in big cities and small. They're taking photographs, and shooting digital video. They hope in the end to have enough material to put together a movie. Here in PdC, they got two interviews out of a stop that they didn't think would really yield much. They talked to my friend Kathleen and about the project she's headed up - the Farm to School program - that aims to get fresh local produce into the local school system.



They also talked to me about the roles I've played here in town. From City Planner to Businessman, and the differing approaches to community building that each of those postion takes.

I'm putting up a link here on the TPP blog. I hope you check it out and follow along on thier quest. Especailly if you have an interest in sustainability. I'm betting that they're going to uncover more practices than they thought possible. Seems like they already have lots of material!

Oh, and to top it all off, they're getting hitched at the end of the trip. Best of luck you two. It was grand to meet you!



listening to: Boot Liquor. Again. But damn is it good!

No comments: